J-1 Summer Work Travel

J-1 Summer Work Travel Visa recipients are post-secondary students enrolled full time and pursuing studies at a post secondary accredited academic institutions located outside the United States who come to the United States to work and travel during their summer vacation.

Summer Work Travel Students must be:

  • Sufficiently proficient in English to successfully interact in an English speaking environment;
  • Post-secondary school students enrolled in and actively pursuing a degree or other full-time course of study at an accredited post-secondary educational institution outside the United States;
  • Have successfully completed at least one semester or equivalent of post-secondary academic study; and
  • Pre-placed prior to entry unless from a visa waiver country.

Readmittance: Participants can be admitted to the program more than once;

Program Length: The maximum length of the program is four months; and

Returning Home: Students must return to their home country prior to the start date of their university or college.

Participants cannot be placed:

  • In any position in the adult entertainment industry;
  • In sales positions that require participant to purchase inventory that they must sell in order to support themselves;
  • In domestic help positions in private homes (e.g. child care, elder care, gardener, chauffeur);
  • As pedicab or rolling chair drivers or operators;
  • As operators of vehicles or vessels that carry passengers for hire and/or for which commercial drivers licenses are required;
  • In any position related to clinical care that involved patient contact; and
  • In any position that could bring notoriety or disrepute to the Exchange Visitor Program.