Becoming a citizen is an important step in the US immigration process. US citizenship offers unique opportunities to the Legal Permanent Residents. Our Connecticut immigration lawyers have outlined for you some of those benefits and advantages of becoming a U.S. Citizen:
Permanent residents have most of the rights of U.S. citizens. But there are many important reasons to consider becoming a U.S. citizen or obtaining naturalization. Here are some good reasons:
- Showing your patriotism. Becoming a citizen is a way to demonstrate your commitment to your new country.
- Voting. Only citizens can vote in federal elections. Most states also restrict the right to vote, in most elections, to U.S. Citizen
- Serving on a jury. Only U.S. citizens can serve on a federal jury. Most states also restrict jury service to U.S. citizens. Serving on a jury is an important responsibility for U.S. citizens.
- Traveling with a U.S. passport. A U.S. passport enables you to get assistance from the U.S. government when overseas, if necessary.
- Bringing family members to the U.S. U.S. citizens generally get priority when petitioning to bring family members permanently to this country.
- Obtaining citizenship for children born abroad. In most cases, a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen is automatically a U.S. citizen.
- Becoming eligible for federal jobs. Certain jobs with government agencies require U.S. citizenship.
- Becoming an elected official. Only citizens can run for federal office (U.S. Senate or House of Representatives) and for most state and local offices.
- Keeping your residency. A U.S. citizen’s right to remain in the United States cannot be taken away.
- Becoming eligible for federal grants and scholarships. Many financial aid grants, including college scholarships and funds given by the government for specific purposes, are available only to U.S. citizens.
- Obtaining government benefits. Some government benefits are available only to U.S. citizens.
Being a Citizen of the United States is an important privilege that will provide you with many civil benefits and protections that Green Card holders do not have.
Please consult with an experienced Immigration Attorney to analyze your goals and situation and advise you on your eligibility to get your US Citizenship. To find how much it will cost you to file for Citizenship please see schedule of fees at List of Fees