Deportation (also called “removal”) is the process when the federal government (as represented by the Department of Homeland Security or DHS) formally deports a person from the United States for any violations of immigration or criminal law. Once deported, such person may lose the right to ever return to the United States, even as a visitor. In certain cases such dire consequences can be overcome through a waiver. Our deportation lawyer will discuss the facts of your case and protect you legal rights.
Removal is a legal proceeding; a person who is subject to this procedure has legal rights prior to being deported from the U.S., including the right to challenge the removal itself.
Classes of Deportable Aliens
Any alien who is in the United States may be subject to deportation or removal if he or she:
- Is an inadmissible alien according to immigration laws in effect at the time of entry to the U.S. or adjustment of non-immigrant status;
- Is present in the U.S.in violation of the Immigration and Nationality Act or any other U.S. law;
- Violated nonimmigrant status or a condition of entry into the U.S.
- Terminated a conditional permanent residence;
- Encouraged or aided any other alien to enter the U.S. illegally;
- Engaged in marriage fraud to gain admission to the U.S.
- Was convicted of certain criminal offenses;
- Failed to register or falsified documents relating to entry in to the U.S.
- Engaged in any activity that endangers public safety or creates a risk of national security; or
- Engaged in unlawful voting.
Role of Deportation Lawyer in the Removal Process
- A Notice to Appear (NTA) is issued by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), served to the alien, and filed with the Immigration Court. In addition to containing general information about the immigrant (name, country of origin, etc.), the NTA also states the reasons for the deportation or removal.
Please consult with our experienced immigration attorneys immediately, if you or your loved one is facing deportation or removal. Our deportation lawyer will discuss the facts of your case and protect you legal rights. Our immigration attorneys have consistently delivered exceptional results as evidenced by the positive feedback from our immigration clients on Google.
We 100s positive client reviews and rated as one of the top immigration law firms in Connecticut.